My small Christmas findings in the thrift store

Since I live in Denmark, I have not had as much excitement to decorate for Christmas as now with two little children that understand much better what is going on. And they love to see the lights, the elves, that chubby gentleman with mustache, the gingerbread houses, well we adults love all this. And let’s not talk about the Christmas dinner and all the food that goes around these dates. We love that even more!

As I told you on Instagram, I brought the box of ornaments from the garage and I bought some nice things that I found in the thrift store, as well as other new things that I found in other stores. I’m excited to see the little faces of my little ones when everything is ready. As long as they don’t decide to pull down all the ornaments, especially from the tree 😀

These are the little decoration items I found that are only a part of the Scandinavian (or at least Danish) Christmas tradition:

Scandinavian Christmas elf (Nisse in Danish and Norwegian, tonttu in Finnish and tomte in Swedish)

The Scandinavian elf is a gnome – bearded older man or you can also find women (like the ones I bought) who wear farmer clothes and who like to do mischief but also help. They have their roots in Scandinavian folklore and are easy to differentiate because their clothes are red, unlike the Christmas elf that is in green and red.My small Christmas findings in the thrift store 01

Christmas calendar (Julekalender)

The Christmas calendars are known worldwide, although their origins go back to the German Lutherans of the 19th century. But, also, here in the Scandinavian countries, children and adults look forward to a show of Christmas. It is a Christmas show television that each year is different and is broadcast from December 1 to December 24. It has become a tradition that began in 1960 in Sweden!My small Christmas findings in the thrift store 02

Christmas heart (Dansk julehjerter)

It comes from an old Danish tradition that is now also made in paper or felt, woven, all handmade. From this tradition I will tell you a little more in a next post because I bought a package to make them together.

My small Christmas findings in the thrift store 03

What decorative elements are a tradition in your country?

Share the love:

20 Comments

• Tren 2018-11-21 at 4:30 pm

Of course the Christmas tree, lights and wreaths are a thing in the US. But this heart we aren’t doing any of that. We’re going on a vacation for two weeks. Glad to start a new tradition with our family.

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-21 at 9:49 pm

That sounds great! Enjoy your trip lovely!

• L 2018-11-21 at 4:44 pm

I love shopping time! This is great

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-21 at 9:48 pm

Christmas is all shoppin time 😀

• Amy Kennedy 2018-11-21 at 5:49 pm

Oh how lovely! I love your new purchases! I haven’t bought anything this year. I may just work with what I have in storage. I live in the USA, and here we have so many different cultures and styles of decorating! In our house, I love to use the color red. Poinsettias, wreaths with red bows. My Christmas tree is chock full of colored lights, and the ornaments on our tree are a collection of homemade ornaments from my kids when they were little, and ornaments bought that represent things that interest them. There is a town about 2 hours from where I live, and they specialize in selling Christmas decorations. It’s called Frankenmuth. I love to go there and just look at all the pretty decorations!

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-21 at 9:47 pm

Its amazing all the different way we celebrate and decorate for Christmas around the world! I love the idea of decorating the tree with my children homemade ornaments 🙂

• Madi 2018-11-21 at 8:06 pm

What sweet decorations! I got engaged in Denmark last Christmas, so reading this brought a smile to my face! Happy Holidays!
    -Madi xo

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-21 at 9:45 pm

Thats so lovely! 🙂 Happy holidays!

• Kayla 2018-11-21 at 10:57 pm

I didn’t realize the Scandinavian elf was a gnome! How cool is that! Love the Christmas heart 🙂

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-22 at 10:13 am

You can find them as ornaments in the garden too, so not always associated with Christmas 🙂

• Live Learn Better 2018-11-22 at 12:13 am

I love the ornaments so cute! Your kids will love them

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-22 at 10:11 am

Thanks! Yes! 🙂

• Krizzia 2018-11-22 at 6:23 am

I can’t believe you can find these things on a thrift shop. I always go to thrift shop for clothes but now I have to look and shop more for decors. Dollar stores are also a great place for good decors at a very low price 🙂

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-22 at 10:11 am

The good thing about the decorations from a thrift shop is they are usually vintage 🙂

• Marijke Doldersum 2018-11-22 at 11:25 am

As I am living in France I am going to concentrate on the French way of decorating. It is the first time I will spend most of December there so I am inspired. There are nice Christmas market in Toulouse apparently and I will check them out. I love thrifting as well and love it when you find bits like that.

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-22 at 8:10 pm

Exciting to spend Christmas in a new city and see how they celebrate it!

• Jen @ Jenron Designs 2018-11-22 at 9:38 pm

I love these decorative elements here in the US we have a lot of various traditions based on where people are originally from, the basic American traditions are Christmas Trees, Santa Claus, and tons of exterior lights on your home. New modern day celebrations like cookie exchanges and candy cane hunts are moving to the fore front.

• lacasadefreja 2018-11-22 at 10:29 pm

What I love about the American Christmas tradition is all the outdoor lights and decoration! It makes you feel Christmas not just inside at home but outside, while the days are getting darker and darker.

• Tatianna 2018-11-26 at 6:10 pm

thrift stores are the best place to find decor like this! love your finds!

• lacasadefreja 2018-12-01 at 9:08 pm